Sunday, January 22, 2012

LESSONS FROM MY MOM

Well, aren't Moms just special?
So, before this post gets all mushy- allow me to state the inspiration for this-well, I was reading this book 'Eat the Rich' and it hit me that though the author was talking all Economics he was using layman terms to make it easier to understand. So there I was reading about how Africa has Diamonds, oil, coal, cocoa, gold...just to name a few and yet it's poor. How fourth graders in America can tell you what twitter or myspace is but they are still not sure about 9 * 7. So, that aside, the manner of his writing is what caught my attention. Mothers are the queens of reverse psychology and it doesn't help that mine is a trained Counselor! Well, she's also a Literature teacher so when it comes to parenting she does a double analysis! Both psychological and grammatical. I know I have broken one rule there but she might let this one go...hopefully!
While growing up, my Mom did not employ a nanny because as she often said ' we were big girls.' All the chores were divided equally and each one of us knew the penalty of not doing our chores, in fact she made it so vital that we could not have breakfast until the house was clean! We could not sit down to watch cartoons until our chores and the dishes were done. I must confess that I learned how to cook at the age of 8 and got better as I grew but all the same at that time it felt more like a burden. Other kids would be busy playing and we would be either studying or working. So, the first lesson that I learned from her was 'play comes after work.' The second was, 'a good reward is earned after a good job is done.' Third is, 'If you don't want to do something, don't waste your time in it.' Fourth was 'I need to make round chapatis, not square ones lest she tell all my relatives about my kitchen short comings.' Fifth, was 'guests are served tea in decent cups, while juice is served in glasses-the taller and slender the better.' The final lesson I learned from My Mom 'Never quit, expecially when everything is teling you to."
 

 
Yeah, she also told us that when it comes to marriage we had better pick the right guy who knows where he is headed, for a man without vision, morals and perspective is like wasted time-you only regret it but never recover it. It's because of her support that now I get to work on a program for teens in Kenya and though things seem bleak and I have lots of paperwork and registration to follow up on-I am gladly going forth with the idea-and you can check it out on http://www.caringteens.wordpress.com and let me know what you think.
I learned loads from Mom and at times thinking back on them makes me smile knowing that at least I am doing something good about it. I will leave you with Abigail Van Buren's take "If you want your children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders."
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!