Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Why I'm perplexed by this thing we call Humanity.

What is humanity?

The condition of being human.

What is being human?
I don't know: to show compassion, understanding, attain glory, develop...kill.

I still don't know what it's all about, but a stranger challenged me this morning. He told me that "if the world were as human as me then it'd be hell on earth."

I walked away faster than I did heading towards him because he'd just faulted me for handing him the coin and thus adding to his current situation along that street. I feel ashamed now that I write about it.
I could not pass by without sharing what I could, but in three seconds the man's words managed to torment me all the way home. I am fresh from my afternoon nap and it's scorching hot here in Kisumu, and I still can't help but talk about him.

So, what is humanity?
What makes someone human? Can you list the requirements of being human aside from possessing the bi-pedal gene? I mean, is there a tangible clause that would factor in this?

I don't think so.

I was watching Hannibal yesterday and was reminded that humans are the only creatures that kill for the sake of killing.
Animals do not kill unless it's for survival.
Humans kill just because they know they can take a life- for the sake of killing.

It got me asking, "what are we?"

I am still muddled by everything that happened today, but wonder- what would happen if everyone cared more than they should about others?

Bill says, "then that would be the end of free-will."

I know he's got some point, but at the moment I cannot come to terms with what the man told me and why it shook me up. I wish it were guilt because I seem to soak up on guilt and write some wicked short stories, but it's not...it's more like being lost.

And until I find myself, I will have to listen to Bill go on about Chelsea...and that is not my cup of coffee...but, who knows, we understand those we love fully.


--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!