Sunday, April 18, 2010

A NIGHT IN TOWN.

So, before you start asking what I was doing in town, let me clarify that I was neither jumping about and shouting nor taking pictures. It is hard to take pictures in town at night because you never know who your mugger would be. So I had just moved my stuff to my uncle's place and I had to come back to campus because I have to work way early, so that given, I used public means and it was another good experience for me. First of all, I boarded a matatu (mathree) that had a tout who was as high as a junkie, then had to stop in town and walk say for ten minutes to catch another mathree to campus, and it was not funny!
But I loved three things about the experience: the lights, the party people and of course the fresh chilly breeze.
I heard a presenter talk a while back on 11th March about, teenage drinking and how it has increased because attendants at supermarkets and service stations do not ask for IDs from the buyers. I saw these seven boys (could be aged between 14-17) running and shouting in town, with bottles of whiskey in their hands and even bumping into some exhausted pedestrians. I have seen so many crazy things in Nairobi but that was shocking and sad, and I wondered whether those kids know anything about where their lives are headed. Do they have career plans or goals? Do they get drunk every night or sleep out? Do their parents or guardians know of their indulgence and if they do, what are they doing about it, are they even trying? As I thought of these things, one of the boys started to relieve his bowels (piss) on the flowers alongside the pavements and the friend staggered onto the road, only to be made sober by a hooting vehicle.I felt sad for those boys and also for whatever happened to any good behavior that their parents or guardians tried to instill in them.

3 comments:

  1. that is so true, them kids think they can drink all they want and club 24/7, can u imagine i was frisked as i was entering a club and a semi naked high school gal went thru?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry. love your blog, how do i get more articles from u?

    ReplyDelete
  3. at times i wonder like why we have so much against people spoiling their lives by choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Reading!