Tuesday, December 6, 2011

THE UNTOUCHABLES

It has been exactly a week since I posted an article and I have gone through so much that I have some clue of where to begin and what to leave out.
For the past nine days, I have been acting as a residential matron at some camp in Kariobangi South for class eight graduates. I was to be their guide, confidante and friend. I was to be their girlfriend, mother, nurse, teacher and most of all disciplinarian. This was one of the best experiences I have had and simply talking to them about it made me cherish every single moment.
The schedule was full of events and we mostly ended up doing more of talking and sharing experiences rather than just studying. I found myself waking up at 5:00am to get them hot water from the main kitchen, and attending mass at 6:15am, then being with them in class the whole day.
The girls were slow to warm up on the first day but with time they opened up and we could chat about everything and the only rule I had in my class was that nothing was censored. It hit me that generations change. What I did at their age is what they did four years back and so I often found myself being schooled by 13 year olds on love, dating, marriage, the lies parents tell and also about future ambitions. I ended up calling them my divas because they were all beautiful, bold and talented. I did show them some dance moves and we danced mostly to Coldplay's "Every teardrop is a waterfall" and Britney's "I wanna Go."
I have often shared with you about humanity and what it means to give back to the society. Most of my posts have been about doing some good deed not only for yourself but for the wellbeing of others and at times when I look back on all that has happened these past nine days-I have that feeling that I want to be a camp chaperone all my life. There is also the grand feeling of seeing them grow to be their best. The experience, was simply remarkable and it made me inspire them in one way or the other to be their utmost best. They are beautiful and with such memories they simply become untouchable.

--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!