Friday, February 10, 2012

Blindly seeing

"How blind can you be?"
I have heard people utter these words in moments of frustration and most of them rarely get the chance to fully explain why they call the other person blind. I do not also understand what it means to be blind when your eyes function well but your mind simply ignores what it sees. So, having had a rather delightful start to the month of February I am keen to collect various moments of inspiration from people and to share them as much as I can.
This post is however completely dedicated to one annoying friend, who by all means possible declared that I am blind. Well, I retorted "I am not blind, I simply choose not to acknowledge something." He went on to say that I am very blind. He also affirmed some statement made some time back that I am devoid of emotion-yes, and it simply makes me wonder how then I have existed thus far devoid of emotion, I should have been excluded and living in an attic with nothing but pen, paper, and a candle and cursing away at how evil and contagious human beings are and how much I loathe them. Well, I am full of emotion-I portray as much as I can and at times I choose to let another express theirs and let them get in touch with their true selves at that moment.
Are there times you simply ignore things because you know that you are not able to change an aspect about them or that your involvement would be of no help?
Now that's an example of blindly seeing. Note, I have not said 'seeing blindly' but 'blindly seeing.' Seeing blindly is slang mostly for not analyzing something, you can say someone who sees blindly does not look beyond their nose, or give a matter their full attention and consideration. But, blindly seeing-means you are aware of something, can feel its existence, yet you act oblivious because you do not want to involve yourself at all. It does not mean you are selfish when you are blindly seeing-it only means that you are afraid of what might become of your involvement. So back to the story- my friend, insisted that I am blind because I said that I did not know what was happening in our mutual friend's life. Okay-let me break it down, our friend (let me call him Joe) started avoiding us and mostly coming up with excuses so not to hang out with us. So, now Jim, told me that I am blind because I told him I did not know that Joe was avoiding us. Well, duh! I could-but in the guys' world at times the chance to be right makes all the difference and I let Jim go on about how blind I was and how bad we were as Joe's friends. So,we went to see Joe and simply asked him, what's been happening and why he is not hanging out with us anymore-and his answer was "I've been busy."
I turned to leave and Jim proved that I did not care or see that Joe was going through some tough time.
See, with Joe it was simple-he was trying to figure things out and if that meant that he had to set us aside, well, he had every right to do so. Did I see it? Yes, did I do anything about it? Yes, I gave him his space. Did I feel as though he might have needed a friend by his side like me? Yes, and what did I do about it? I was by his side, waiting for him to simply turn and realize that I had been there all along-and he did. He talked to me later after Jim had declared me the worst friend and gone home. He was going through some changes, trying to figure what direction his life was taking and that's why he set us aside.
At times blindly seeing is what shields us from pain, disappointment, fear-and at times it can stop us from living free and full of love. The next time some asks you "how blind can you be?" take a step back and look at them-for if you are experiencing the same situation chances are they are portraying the side of you that would want to do something. They may be the voice in you that is being silenced by your need to assess the situation.
At times the best way to get in touch with yourself, is by blindly seeing the events and actions of those around you.

 

1 comment:

  1. I do that a lot,blindly seeing.It just makes life very easy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Reading!