Friday, December 6, 2013

Writing

I seem to elicit strange reactions in people when I tell them these things:
  • I studied Psychology
  • I write novels

Yes- to the first they always ask "can you read my mind?" or "what can you say about me just by looking at me?"

And I always think (well, first impressions are a killer, but why not say something nice?)

To the second- people always have the uncanny ability to be reminded of how much they've always wanted to write their life story.

I know it should get old by now- but it never does and a part of me always hopes anyone who shares my writing would somehow be honest enough to divulge just what they have wanted to write but never got around to it.

There's no two ways about writing- you have to write!

It won't be a masterpiece, but after some editing and time it will be worth reading- if not for you but for a friend or a stranger somewhere, you have to at least try!

See, the thing I have learned over time about a story- if the idea is there and it asserts itself, you find yourself writing about it- in your room, in the library, in a bus, while sitting under a tree, as you take a walk, or do dishes, or cook, and even as you bathe. It's there with you, breathing life into you, demanding to be told.

It's like a rush, one that only you can feel and put in words.

This would never happen unless you simply write- so you want to be a writer- then do what writers do- WRITE!


--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!