Monday, April 28, 2014

A Girl's got to dream, right?

I've told you about Aurora.

I have been writing a journal, sharing my thoughts and realizations with her for a while now.
I know it's crazy, and I am going to sit back and think of how stupid this is, but at the back of my mind- I cannot stop talking to her as though she is alive and well.
Grace put on edge this morning. She said and I'll quote her, "Eish, Chica- you don't have a guy, we're not talking about Prince Charming- he's still on the boyfriend zone, and what if you get married and get pregnant and have a boy instead?"

So- Grace, I am starting my Luigi diaries!
Yes, if he's a boy then he'd be called Luigi or Michael, or Raphael...let's just say I'm not as sure of the boy's name as I am of Aurora, okay?

But, I thought of some of things I'd hand down to the next generation and came up with this:


Yes...11 books that I'd love my kids to read.
  1. Of Marriageable Age by Sharon Maas
  2. In the Kitchen by Monica Ali
  3. The Poet by Michael Connelly
  4. The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
  5. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  6. Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier
  7. A French Affair by Susan Lewis
  8. The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh
  9. Dreams of Rivers and Seas by Tim Parks
  10. An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender

And lastly..."A Father's Portrait."

I could mention the whole list of books that I'd hand down to her, or him...(but some sick part of me is really hoping for a girl) but these would do for now.

It's just some kind of fascination, but though Grace has her wits about her, there's always the realization of a dream. Who knows...I may just rub it in her face by asking her to be a God Mother some time in the future, so help me God.

So why am I going on about Aurora?

I reckon that things change and what we see now is not what we'll see in the next minute, but I'd like to share the knowledge in these books with the next generation- build their grammar, give them a sense of wonder and creativity, because it feels as though the one thing we've created to bring us closer (social media) is taking away the intimacy and beauty that is in expressing ourselves through words.

Now, it's all about #selfies which I'd say I engage in too --->suchakenyan and the need to capture moments just by clicks...and not words.

The words have been reduced to #hashtags.

I guess, a girl's got to dream...right?


--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!