Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A-must-read for Leaders

I had this feeling today at work

​(Picture courtesy of Google Images )

Why?
Well, there's a lot to do and a lot's expected of me, but because of unforeseen circumstances my report was lacking in lustre and I had to deal with a brief moment of taking in deep breaths and not taking anything personally.

Let's be honest, I did. I do hold so many things to heart, and to be there at that moment and take in a negative tongue-lashing because of something I could not control- left me with the most sour taste in my mouth, and lots of bile in my body.

And, how best did I vent?
I thought about it for an hour home and it made me feel sad. So, when I got home- Kenya Power, the electricity provider and supplier in Kenya that's a monopoly and has the worst customer and emergency service, decided to rid me of electricity!

Thirty minutes later and I changed channels to TBN, to watch John C. Maxwell talk about "The 5 Levels of Leadership" and in that moment I felt like a load was lifted off my chest.

So, what are the five levels of leadership?
  1. Position. People follow you because they have to e.g. You are the boss, and they are working for you to get their pay. So, you'll have employees who get ready to leave work as early as 4:45pm- they clear desks, and rush to the exit.
  2. Permission. People follow you because they want to.
  3. Production. People follow you because of what you have done for the organization.
  4. People Development. People follow you because of what you have done for them.
  5. Pinnacle. People follow you because of who you are and what you represent.

If you are a leader- take time to visit and learn about leadership from John Maxwell and build on your character, personality and position to empower, and influence people for the better.

As for me, I may have been sad and disappointed in the feedback I got- but if one thing's sure, tomorrow is another God-given day and with it shall come what's good, so we'll see how it goes.

Have a wonderful week!

--
www.totellornot.wordpress.com

For all that is right, let there be love-peace and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!