Saturday, May 26, 2012

Life on the Road

Jane Eyre told me this week "The eagerness of a listener quickens the tongue of a narrator."
I love life on the road- travelling and meeting new people and pushing myself above and beyond limits is what I live for. Sometime this week a friend voiced her concern, "if you love being on the road, will you ever settle down?'
To evade her question I asked "define 'settle down,"and she let me be. But with age and time comes the reminder that someone has to settle down, get a partner, get amrried and definitely start a family-blah blah blah!
Family is important, and so is the strong dedication to a family but that aside, I visited my friend to congratulate her on having delivered her third child and she was all smiles. All the best to her, and I'm sure she might read this in the next century so (cheers Gracey! May you live long to noursih your children with love, understanding and endless motherly support).
I'm grateful for the opportunity of being a field assistant in Busia, it has definitely opened my eyes to so many things-and the diversity of people is beautiful-and given that each time I meet someone and they say they are Luhya, I have to ask which sub-tribe they are. Are they Samia, Kyao, Nyala, Marachi? I have also met some very beautiful Teso women who have fed me with sweet potatoes and bowls of porridge that I dared not move after that.
But Life on the road, also deserves a minute break, and this would be in form of time off to complete my book (The Book of Abel)- and it is my hope that this like all my other books, would shed some light on what it means to be a single Father-and jobless in Nairobi Kenya.
Of all that have been supportive in this endeavor, I thank you all and also to my dear friend @Lit_Chronicles for also sharing my story Dear Yellow with her readers.
You can be sure to hear more of the Literary life in Kenya by visiting her blog Literary Chronicles .Life on the Road has been challenging-and last week I sprained my left ankle as I attempted to cross a tributary-but I'm well and glad that we got the person we were seeking at the end of it all, other than that-a few things I noticed about Busia:
  1. Most people have bicycles : those bikes that have baskets in front, you'd think they were free here.
  2. Most women wear skirts or dresses and sit across the seat on a boda boda bicycle.
  3. You get served a huge bit of Ugali with just a handful of sukumawiki-and I was shocked while at a place called Mundika to see a man finish the ugali and ask for more while the sukumawiki was still there.
  4. Chilren wade in the rain.
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!