Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Words

I have had five days to ponder about this post. I have, in those five days, spent enough time around family to know who is telling the truth and who is not. I have also had the privilege of reading two amazing books: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak .
In that time I have thought of all the times I have been haunted by words- not because I misspell some of them, or forget how to grammatically project them-but because I keep them to myself. So, I have thought long and hard- and come back to the beginning: words are powerful. They declare what is. They bring to life and bury what is. I have often been told that when someone says mean things about you- "ignore them."
I have learned that you can do that if (a) they are drunk (b) they are strangers (c)if they are both a and b. But, still there's such impact on a stranger's words as opposed to someone we know.
I have been writing or simply penning down my thoughts since I was twelve-and I know how much words can bury someone or something. I have read many books and simply set them aside, to forget the characters and move on to other books. But, the 21st century has brought a streak of meanness with it. If you are mean, or use a lot of swear words/ or curse words as you talk, then you are cool.
But if you have ever gone back to faith- and looked through the Christian Bible- it will dawn on you how powerful words are. God said "let there be...." and there was. He said it and it came forth. It's a wonderful year full  of lessons and encounters-but that means you can choose to bless and inspire with them and not curse, simply bring forth the good in people.

--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!