Sunday, March 9, 2014

The perks of being a Birthday Girl!

So...
You forgot my birthday!

Well...that could have been me yesterday, but I daresay some amazing things did happen that left me grateful and too happy to get on people's cases. I had them:


And then my Mom (the beautiful woman in a red t-shirt) got me this:

 And they treated me to some amazing Pilau, and my sister Chez took me shopping- or rather we went shopping!
What more could I ask for?

But that's not why I'm posting this today...I share my birthday with people who move this world. People who love without expecting anything in return and whose voices with time we forget, whose names we know not expect for the fact that they are 'Mothers,' isn't that the greatest honor one can be bestowed?

I was working on a story for femrite and I thought so much of women and how the society deems them.
It did dawn on me that going back in two or three lineages before me- the maiden names of the women I cherish are unknown to me.
I know not my great grandmother's maiden name, most of my aunties- and it reminded me of how much women give up to join their loved ones and start a new family. It's not a burden to them but a call to love and they do so without second thoughts or doubts.

I had a wonderful day, but did a woman somewhere have the same?

Someone's mother, daughter, sister, aunt, wife, niece, cousin, god-mother, grandmother, mother-in-law was aboard the Malaysian MH370 flight.

Someone's mother, daughter, sister, aunt, wife, niece, cousin, god-mother, grandmother, mother-in-law, fiancee was hoping their loved one made it to their destination alive.

We have strong women, beautiful women and successful women.
We also have women who need to make more use of their necks- and hold their head up high, who need to treat their bodies like the Temples of God that they are, who believe that their loved one will change, who need to know that the only time a man should lay his hand on you is when he's appreciating your beauty and not when he feels like killing you.

We have women who need our love and support.

Here's to STRONG WOMEN:

May we Know them,
May we Be them,
May we Raise them,
May we Tell them,
May we Appreciate them,
May we Dedicate Every Day to them...not just one day!
--
How can one change the world if one identifies oneself with everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!