Sunday, September 7, 2014

When a book makes an impression.

I have always loved reading books. I recently shared with you a picture of the books I've bought and read this year:


​But sometime this past week- "Empire of Dragons" by Valerio Massimo Manfredi
​ made an impression on me. It follows the journey of twelve Romans, whom their Emperor is betrayed by his son, and they find themselves slaves in Persia. They manage to break free after their Emperor dies, and find themselves on yet another quest to attain stability and rule to China-and are captives again. They are forced to battle and of all the one who remains standing is the Commander Metellus, who yearns to be reunited with his son, Titus, and return his Emperor's ashes home as he'd promised.

I always love historical fiction because it demands that you review history and the events and people in a different light- and I think the fact that Valerio (who shares the same birthday with me) is an Archaeologist, adds life and a time stamp to his plot and writing.

So, having fallen deeply madly and irrevocably in love with his style of bringing history to life, I went ahead and got two more titles.

I'll get started on 'The Tower' and 'Heroes' soon- but this spurred a feeling in me- aren't people something like this?
You hang out with people who make an impression on you. If you don't like someone you stay miles away from them- but when you like someone, you always find yourself drawn to them and seeking to spend more time with them.

The only difference is that when a book that you've bought makes an impression, you can always go back and read it anytime you choose to, but with friends- all you have is the memory of what they did- and you can choose to replay it but after some time, it ceases to be as profound as you felt it the first time.
​​

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!